Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nevada Rock Art with Sarah

Thought you might like to see what some of the rest of the Flower Tree/Red Zinnia family has been up to........our contributor today: Sarah Henderson

Here are some pictures from my Nevada Rock Art trip! It consisted of a week long adventure way down south in Laughlin, NV in a place called Grapevine Canyon. This was an interesting rock art site because it is still a worship area for the local Native Americans. Because of this, we were not able to use the brightly colored flags to indicate panel number like we usually do, and ended up running all around and up and down the mountain many times a day. Talk about some hiking!The petroglyphs in this canyon were beautiful though. While they can't date them back to an exact date, they speculate they the glyphs are about 6,000 years old. Also, none of the archaeologist will tell you what they think the images are of, or if they symbolize anything; they like to leave each one up to the individuals imagination.It was a beautiful and hard working trip, but I am glad to be a part of a thing like this to help preserve something so old that has never been documented extensively :)p.s: they need more volunteers! www.nvrockart.com
Also, a bit of current news: I am going to Europe post graduation! I bought my ticket last week and I will fly into Dublin on May 25th and fly back out of Dublin on June 27th. Wish me luck! And, if anyone has a *must see* place in Europe, I would love to hear about it.

1 comment:

Shon and Sedona said...

I need to check this place out, thanx.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin